Development WG's famous to do list

Concerns? Let us know by posting here.

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons, dserrano5

Cake
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Cake »

androl wrote: thisnote, you can click on "Dunjai" and see what it is in your language
There seems to be a minor bug.
While viewing a hit, you can't change language, if you do the database informs you that the bill doesn't exist.
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

There appear still some synonyms as individual cities in the rankings (like Köln + Koeln in Germany or Athens, Athina + Αθήνα in Greece as well as Korfu-stadt, Corfu + Kerkyra), is it helpful to post/collect these cases in this (or another) topic :?:

In the german version of the italian city-ranking I've noticed these "missing translations":

Firenze = Florenz
Torino = Turin
Venezia = Venedig
Genova = Genua
Padova = Padua
Bolzano = Bozen
Trento = Trient
Trieste = Triest
Gorizia = Görz
Last edited by Licht & Feuer on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hailtotheking
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by hailtotheking »

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=117700

This city does not exist, it should be:
's-Gravenzande

BTW tnx for the great job!!

8) HTTK 8)
http://game.desert-operations.nl/?recru ... d=d29ybGQx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <== klik link en speel/Click and play
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

still some encoding problems
Žs-gravenzande is when you interpret Iso-x-1 encoded 's-Gravenzande as Iso-x-15
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

The same Ž is visible in some of the note entries I made in the past, also before this new structure....

I used the " or the ' in front of names and after the names of pubs or some shops, or when something was written on it.
scb
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by scb »

Licht & Feuer wrote:There appear still some synonyms as individual cities in the rankings (like Köln + Koeln in Germany or Athens, Athina + Αθήνα in Greece as well as Korfu-stadt, Corfu + Kerkyra), is it helpful to post/collect these cases in this (or another) topic :?:
For Greek cities, there is a large number of multiple entries:
Hersonissos and Chersonissos
Rhodos, Rodos and Rhodes
Rethymnon (crete) and Rethymnon
Marousi and Marousi - athens
Nikea and Nikaia
Patras and Patra
€€F
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by €€F »

I also noticed Koln and Koeln .. Köln zollstock..
If you can't solve it it's not a problem..

my stats
theswitch
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

RSS Feed for hits/new bills etc

Post by theswitch »

Would it not be great to have RSS feeds on the eurobilltracker site itself?
(if they exist, I could not find them..)
I can think of all the current top-lists to have its own RSS feed, so you can quickly see in firefox et al when there are new hits, longest hits, your own hits, even notes entered in a specific town (your own town?) etc etc.

So I vote for RSS support in EBT!

Post by Guest »

Switzerland seems to be a very big country...

http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/profile/?city=61430

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

News of 2006-09-25 wrote:Joining several profiles into one (such as for Brussels) and splitting some city profiles into several (such as for the two Frankfurts in Germany) is mostly done manually. Please leave us at least a week before complaining about remaining inconsistencies.
For the record, there are approximately 100.000 city profiles, subsuming (right now) 318.242 individual locations. A grace period of one week is not likely to suffice even for the most visible city profiles, but not intolerably long.
After that week we should probably set up a forum thread designated for such reports. This thread is mostly intended for the more important and/or more complex and/or long-term improvements, or veritable bug reports.
FVS wrote:I also noticed Koln and Koeln .. Köln zollstock..
Additionally, there seems to be a mis-understanding. The locations entered directly by users - as visible in the lists of new notes or your CSV files - remain unchanged. Köln was one of the first cities for which the various spellings have been joined, so I don't understand this observation/complaint/notice at all.
Licht & Feuer wrote:In the german version of the italian city-ranking I've noticed these "missing translations":
Translations are planned only a few very big cities with many substantially different names.
Last edited by Gauss on Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Either that or I'll cancel my subscription of this topic.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

Gauss wrote:For the record, there are approximately 100.000 city profiles, subsuming (right now) 318.242 individual locations.
does that mean you already eliminated 218000 locations as homonymes? 8O
Or are there on average 3.2 different post codes for every city?
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

The new data structures are organized this way:

We have cities (parents) and locations (children). Locations are defined by a cityname, postal code and country, e.g. 'Bamberg, 96047 Germany'.

Locations are subsumed by (parent) cities which are defined by a cityname and a country (and a few other statistical data). A note entered for the location "Bamberg, 96047 Germany" would normally be subsumed by the city Bamberg, Germany.

Parent cities appear in the rankings and have a profile, locations are displayed in the "New notes", "My new notes", "CSV" ... well, basically everywhere else. Whenever location data is handled, it is never manipulated or auto-corrected. So if you enter notes from "Bamberg, 96052 Italy" (which happens to be subsumed by the same parent as "Bamberg, 96047 Germany") you will still see that note as "Bamberg, 96052 Italy" in your note listing, despite the manual correction we applied.

This process happens mostly automatically of course. Old entries were assigned to parent cities during the conversion process, new entries are automatically assigned to the parent city that fits best. The heuristic tries to be as smart as possible, but some manual work still has to be applied. In particular there's still a big backlog from the conversion process.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

thanks for the explanation
I noticed that city profiles now have maps :) (with average coordinates?)
but there are strange "rounding errors", for example notes from Markdorf have
lat=:47.7209;long=:9.3891
and the city profile has
lat=:47.720901489258;long=:9.3891000747681
:P

:idea:
so these are numbers with 24 bits for the significand:

47.7209 =
2^6 * .1011111011100010001100111001110 ->
2^6 * .101111101110001000110100

9.3891 =
2^4 * .100101100011100111000000111010111110 ->
2^4 * .100101100011100111000001
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

I just re-read my explanation. Let me add a few more words ;-)

Whenever a user enters a note (let's stay at 'Bamberg, 96047 Germany') the system looks up the corresponding location id and enters this into our bills database. Every single combination of every spelling of the cityname, postal code and country get a unique ID, so 'Bamberg, 96047 Germany' is different from 'bamberg, 96047 Germany'. The system automagically creates new location IDs if needed.

As I said, cities subsume such locations. EVERY location is subsumed by exactly one city. The same auto-magic happens in the background, new parent cities get created whenever the heuristic is unable to find a matching one for this new location.

And while it may often be obvious to a user that 'Bamberg, 96047 Germany' and 'Bamberg-Downtown, 96047 Germany' most likely refer to the same city (and thus should be grouped as one single entry), the system cannot tell and would create a new parent city for the downtown location.

This is where our team of plotters and city admins comes into play, they manually fix this mess (admins) and assign coordinates to locations (plotters). Fortunately the effort will converge to zero over time (as our city database contains more and more useful information and is structured better and better), but for now this requires a lot of time and work.

As for the city maps, the coordinates are the average of all subsumed locations with set coordinates. Cities aren't assigned any coordinate information at all. And I blame any rounding errors to MySQL ;-)

PS: 'Bamberg-Downtown' was just an example, and a bad one, too. We would like to discourage our users to specify city quarters as part of the cityname, as in 'Berlin-Köpenick' or 'Paris-Ouest' or 'London Soho' or anything like that. Just use the main (common) cityname PLEASE.

Return to “Feedback and Development”