Call, Rumours, the EBT-Tool, Wap and more...

Euro tracking discussion in English

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

ernie_hh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Call, Rumours, the EBT-Tool, Wap and more...

Post by ernie_hh »

Hello,

at the moment there is something happening at EBT.

This morning (24.12.) some problems with the server occoured and since then, the EBT does not work any more. The most obvious thing is that the english version is now reached via en.eurobilltracker.com .

Nerzhul stated that Giro, founder of EBT, has moved the Domain to a server run by Giro. He has copied the complete data from the servers hosted by avij to his own. During this transistion, some things have been broken, among those the EBT-Tool is no longer able to submit bill data. As the database has been copied completely now two instances of the databases exists, the databases hosted by avij are not reachable at the moment.

Avij and Nerzhul, who have been workling long and intensively for and on EBT, no longer have access to the system. Avij and Nerzhul have been spending a lot of time on the page and implementing a lot of new features and kept the community vivid. Sudenly, after 4 years of inactivity, Giro reappears and locks them out.

Currently you should not submit bill data with the EBT-Tool. Due to the changes at the server it does not accept the data from the tool, but the tool deletes the data and the data is lost. Thus you should only use the tool to store data.

The Wap access is still running against the server run by avij, but the data is not visible at the normal webpages reachable via eurobilltracker.com. So this way can't be used at the moment.

Due to the changes hit notification mails are not send.

From my point of view we should currently not enter notes until the situation as been clarified. You can write the data down on a paper list or store the bills in the ebt tool.

In my opionen the situation we have at the moment is not acceptable. Giro has never told anything official about the transmission. In fact he has locked out the two most active helper. In addition there were no preceding information to the support-team or other helper. (this is based on rumours as i am not part of the team). And last but not least there are many things which don't work anymore after the transmission, although the transmission was/is not neccessary or reasonable.

Call:

Do not enter notes, until the situation has been cleared. Save your CSV with the note data. You will never know what happen tomorrow.

greetings
ernie_hh

(this is the english version of my german posting: http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10434

---

Ressources:
- http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtop ... 971#496971 (to do list)
- http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10432 (mail notifications)
- http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtop ... 920#496920 (EBT-Tool)
german:
- http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10431
- http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtop ... 038#497038 (im Thread zum EBT-Tool)

---

mieg has locked down his "pechvogelliste" and his ebt-page
ernie has locked down his statistics page
several users have claimed their assistance
EBT-Statistiken und Dotkonverter: http://euro.ernie-hh.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aktuelle EBT-Tool-Version: 0.99.11.3 vom 11.01.2011
News im EBT-Blog: http://euro.ernie-hh.de/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

I fully subscribe to this point of view. I am not amused by Giro's action.

To add something: Babel has also been shut down by Giro, thus those who have volunteered to translate the page are locked out too.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Babel is now available again at eurobilltracker.eu/babel

Please make use of it and help us with our first new newsletter :-)
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
diogocanilho
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by diogocanilho »

To tell our disagreement to giro's action I propose to send him our point of view in this matter...

philippe-girolami@girolami.org
ErGo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Call, Rumours, the EBT-Tool, Wap and more...

Post by ErGo »

ernie_hh wrote:at the moment there is something happening at EBT.
I hoped it would be a pleasant surprise to X-mas, but it seems to be a rotten easter egg :evil:
Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Mr Euro »

diogocanilho wrote:To tell our disagreement to giro's action I propose to send him our point of view in this matter...
Please all cool down. There is no need to stir up the community. I've meet all three webmasters on several occassions and they all have one heart about eurobilltracker.com.

I'm sure they will come up with a solution which will be for the greater good of the eurobilltrackercommunity.

In Belgium there is a saying: The soup will never be eaten as hot as it is served. So please, everybody keep cool for a few days and let the situation easen itself. :roll:
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

is it a really bad idea to make some fake hits on .com to draw attention to .eu? I have a pretty big list of public serials...
Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Mr Euro »

Crazy Bob wrote:is it a really bad idea to make some fake hits on .com to draw attention to .eu?
I know there are some emotions at this moment, but I think it's import for us to keep out of the discussion for a few days. Let everything settle down. I'm sure the three webmasters will find some sort of arrangement for the greater good of all of us.

And to answer. Fake hits are always a bad idea!!! :wink:
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

OK, maybe faking hits is indeed a bridge too far... What I did do is change my .com profile to show my "appreciation". :twisted:
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

well, i now changed by nick on the .com website to "Wisi is now on eurobilltracker.eu". I thnk this will not be overseen by anyone if enough user change their nick in a similar way on the .com split.
ernie_hh
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by ernie_hh »

I think this topic should be closed as the reality was faster than my posting :)

We have a split by now.

Look into Nerzhuls Announcement:

http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10438

further discussion should be there.

And I disagree too any actions which do any harm. We should not flood Giro with mails or fake hits. .eu should be "the better part". Rename your .com-account according to Nerzhuls idea. And speak to all the users you know to switch to .eu. Of course one can enter notes again...

christmas greetings :)
ernie
EBT-Statistiken und Dotkonverter: http://euro.ernie-hh.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aktuelle EBT-Tool-Version: 0.99.11.3 vom 11.01.2011
News im EBT-Blog: http://euro.ernie-hh.de/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

ernie_hh wrote:I think this topic should be closed as the reality was faster than my posting :)

We have a split by now.

Look into Nerzhuls Announcement:

http://forum.eurobilltracker.eu/viewtopic.php?t=10438

further discussion should be there.

And I disagree too any actions which do any harm. We should not flood Giro with mails or fake hits. .eu should be "the better part". Rename your .com-account according to Nerzhuls idea. And speak to all the users you know to switch to .eu. Of course one can enter notes again...

christmas greetings :)
ernie
You should edit your posts. Maybe include the original one in hyper small text.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Please don't spam giro.

I too hope we find some agreement, but his message to me and his actions in the past year aren't giving me any hope.

Philippe had full access to the database and code of EBT. He snatched all that early in the morning yesterday and set up "his own" EBT server. No warning signs, no questions, no compromise of any kind.

He simply took your note data, our code and his domain name and declared EBT his own again.

Neither avij nor I are wanted in his new EBT world:
Marko,

I have decided to resume hosting and maintaining eurobilltracker and will no longer take
contributions to the site code & maintenance from Anssi and you.

This decision comes from not having a working relationship with you. More importantly, you
came to believe that you co-owned (or owned) eurobilltracker despite my warnings to you
that you did not.

I hope that despite this, you will continue to be active in the community as a contributer
and as maker of the EBTTool.

Regards,
Philippe
Avij received a similar message.

Some time in 2006 Ph. sent us a couple of mails asking about the current status of EBT. He wanted to set up a business model with the site where we would place ads and distribute the revenue between him and avij (for hosting costs which he covers privately since 2003) and me on a per feature basis.

Everybody else who's working voluntarily for the site would get nothing and be expected to function as usual.

To us this showed that Philippe didn't have a single clue how EBT works these days. We wrote a lenghty reply stating how EBT is a community driven project and that we didn't want it to be about making money.

We invited him to work with us. And we gave him full access to the site. Turns out that this was a bad decision.

So ... what now? This is an honest question, I really don't know. We tried diplomacy. We tried reasonability.

I'm deeply hurt, sad, tired and disappointed. I for my part can't continue using EBT.com like that. For me it's either fight or give up EBT.

Marko / Nerzhul
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
-STAR-
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Call, Rumours, the EBT-Tool, Wap and more...

Post by -STAR- »

The old forum is offline by now:
forum.eurobilltracker.com wrote:Hello, you have reached forum.eurobilltracker.com.

This used to point to www.eurobilltrackerforum.com, a site owned by Peter C. (craco, the first user of EBT !) and a base to the Eurobilltracker community.
It has been hijacked by Avij (which was hosting EBT and the forum) and now points to a new domain owned by him.
Until I can ascertain that Peter C. has agreed to this and that Avij is not infringing on his rights, this address will no longer function.

Cheers, Philippe.
Sad days these are... :-(
Rgds, Franz
Recent & 1000 day Stats | EBT Profile | AT Short Codes | VIE Revisited
30.08.2010 • U2 • 360° • Praterstadion • Vienna • Austria • I was there!
wisi
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by wisi »

I hope there are other Linux users (maybe MacOS X too) around and may require this too to copy note date entered in the mean time on the .com Site. Thus, my quick and dirty bash script for this:

Code: Select all

cat bills251207.csv  | tail -60 | while read line; do echo -n $line | cut -d';' -f 1 | tr '\n' ' ' ; echo -n $line | cut -d';' -f 9| tr '\n' ' '; echo -n $line | cut -d';' -f 3,4 | sed s/\;/\ /g ; done | iconv -f utf-8 -t iso8859-1
Comments: bills251207.csv is the CSV File in the current directory containing my new note data
tail -60 -> I entered 60 Notes yesterday over there, replace by your number
-> iconv is needed as i use a iso8850 system, e.g. german umlauts would have been broken otherwise

The result may be used in Packages of 25 in the expert form.
There might be more elegant ways to to this, but: Who cares :)

Return to “Site and Euro-tracking Discussion (English)”