Date for EBTM07 Berlin (17.8.-19.8.2007)

Forum to discuss all the international EBT-Meeting topics

Moderators: Crazy Bob, eddydevries, philgelico, Raumi, MDeen, Jackgaillard, Ludwigsfeld, Aatos99, lmviterbo

helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Date for EBTM07 Berlin (17.8.-19.8.2007)

Post by helloggs »

The poll is over, you have chosen 17.8.-19.8.2007 for the International EBT-Meeting in Berlin.
Last edited by helloggs on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prynde
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Prynde »

I'm assuming you mean weekends in august? All weekends are ok atm so 1 1 1 1 :)
Karhut ne vaan käppäilee
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Prynde wrote:I'm assuming you mean weekends in august? All weekends are ok atm so 1 1 1 1 :)
Then go vote on the voting site, pirhana!
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Votes where no candidate is ranked higher than any other candidate are not allowed (obviously, as it'd be rather pointless). If all the options are really equal, there's no need for you to vote.

BTW, if the voting script says that you're not logged in, go to www.eurobilltracker.com , login normally and then go to www.eurobilltracker.eu/vote to get a list of available voting booths, including the one for EBTM07's date.

EBT's voting script doesn't actually tell you directly which option is in the lead. If you paste the results list to the web form of www.ericgorr.net/condorcet and check the "Beatpath winner" option, the site will tell you which option has won. I was feeling lazy when I wrote the voting script and decided to use an external service for actually counting the votes.
Last edited by avij on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Ninkey
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Ninkey »

Maybe I didn't read it, but what happened to Paris? I thought Paris and Berlin both had 50% of the votes...
There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

You're right, see this topic. Sorry, I hope to see you in Berlin instead :wink:
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Re: Date for EBTM07 Berlin

Post by androl »

helloggs wrote:Example: If you only could make it on the first weekend, you should vote 1 2 2 2. If weekend one and three would suit you best, enter 1 2 1 2.
is 1 4 1 4 also possible?
if one person votes 1 2 1 2 and another person 1 2 3 4, then the vote of the second person has much more weight. The maximum difference between the votes should represent the amount how much you care about the date. If you don't really care about the date, you can only use 1 and 2, or only 3 and 4, but if you do, you should always use at least one 1 and 4

... I see it is not possible, the system pnly keeps "=" and ">"
so it's your own fault if you don't use 1 2 3 and 4.
Also, I'd like to delete my vote if I don't have a preference any more. Entering "1 1 1 1" should delete the vote.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Androl, please have a look at the Wikipedia entry for the Condorcet method, it should answer your questions if you read it through. As mentioned in the article, the result of a Condorcet method election is done by constructing a series of pairwise comparisons of the candidates. Thus, your example vote of 1 4 1 4 will be interpreted like this:

You prefer A over B
You prefer A over D
You prefer C over B
You prefer C over D

That's it. 1 2 1 2 (and various other combinations) would yield the exact same results. If you leave some candidate unranked, it simply means that you don't have any preference regarding that candidate.
androl wrote:so it's your own fault if you don't use 1 2 3 and 4.
Why the "blame"? A vote such as 1 1 2 3 is also perfectly valid -- it states that there are two candidates which are equally good, and the other options are ranked 2nd and 3rd. You don't need to use all the numbers.
Last edited by avij on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

I hope you are all aware that by limiting the meeting dates to normal weekdays (aka working days) you are decreasing the chances of many fellow trackers to attend the meeting.

August is a traditional vacation month in Germany, most schools and universities are closed. This also means that everybody and their dog is taking vacation time, so that it can be very difficult to get some time off work.

Personally I think it's more important to set a widely compatible date than having a day during the week for some additional activity.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

Nerzhul wrote: Personally I think it's more important to set a widely compatible date than having a day during the week for some additional activity.
Yes, it is a bit of a dilemma. I have mentioned it serveral times that we would include a regular working day in the meeting, but no one has complained so far, though I noticed here and there that people have overlooked that 'speciality'. That made us think, that it would perhaps not be a big issue for many, in the end we are only talking about one or two days of vacation in addition to the weekend.
Still, we are open for disussion, as we actually are still ahead of the proposed schedule for fixing the date, though I have been told that others may have a different point of view on this. :wink: (And we are at least one week ahead of last year's date decision.) One compromise I could imagine is to have a regular day on Saturday with sightseeing and eating together in the evening as well. That would allow everyone who is able to take the Thursday/Friday off to participate in the special activity on Friday (and, no, at this early stage we unfortunately don't know yet what this will be, we only know that going to the mint is rather unlikely at the moment, sorry) and to stay till Saturday/Sunday to meet the rest of the EBTers who could not make it on Friday. That would mean a pretty long event after all, but it is just a thought.
It depends on each one of you, we need input for this discussion. We certainly don't want to dictate any date, after all, we want as many EBTers as possible to be able to attend EBTM07.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

avij wrote:EBT's voting script doesn't actually tell you directly which option is in the lead. If you paste the results list to the web form of www.ericgorr.net/condorcet and check the "Beatpath winner" option, the site will tell you which option has won. I was feeling lazy when I wrote the voting script and decided to use an external service for actually counting the votes.
Up till now there is one date in the lead (Don't worry, I won't tell you, because it can effect the voting by those to come).

You still can vote (and there aren't that many votes yet, so your vote still can change it). If you haven't voted yet: participate and give your opinion!

BTW the date in the lead is also the dat I prefered, so you don't have to worry I try to change the votes with this message: the more votes come, the more chances there are the date will change. :wink:
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

>>Important message, please read<<

Not many people complained so far about our unorthodox schedule, nevertheless we decided to ditch the Thursday, it should be sufficient to meet on Friday afternoon to have the possibility to go to the Bundesbank. This and the Friday evening activity (there is already some discussion in the German forum about the possibility to organize a little party/barbecue with German specialities, but we still have to ponder about that) will be considered as 'pre-meeting' so if you are only able to join us on Saturday, you will still have a whole day and evening with all the trackers. And on Sunday, for those who wish to stay that long, we'll have our little field trip.

To cut a long story short, all dates have been changed to Friday till Sunday. We will meet already Friday afternoon, but you won't miss everything if you arrive on Saturday. If necessary, edit your vote till the end of the poll on Monday, January 15 21:00

>>Thanks for reading this important message, now please vote if you would like to join us. :wink:<<
jenny&me
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by jenny&me »

a little party/barbecue with German specialities
I love the idea :P
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

jenny&me wrote:
a little party/barbecue with German specialities
I love the idea :P
And me, as a vegetarian...
Why not offer some REALLY local specialities, not the ones that are stereotypically German?
What I'm talking about is the national food of Bundesland Berlin: kebab, which usually is bundled with falafel.

;)

Ah well. I like Sauerkraut. If that is included in the stereotypical German dinner, then I can live with it.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

The poll is over, you have chosen 17.8.-19.8.2007 for the International EBT-Meeting in Berlin.

What's next?

-the 'Who will come and who won't' thread will open during the next few days. It would be nice if you could indicate as early in advance as possible, when you will arrive in Berlin and for how long you are going to stay.

-general tourist information and information about accomodation in Berlin (mainly hostels) will follow during the next couple of weeks

Return to “International EBT-meetings”